Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Lelanie Guest Post


Hi there, Pinkapotamus fans! I am Lelanie and I have a sewing blog called To Sew With Love where I blog with my sister, Laarnie. I also have a cooking blog, To Cook With Love, where I blog with my sister and also my blogging friend, Mia Sanchez-Pellot, the Latin Cooking Diva.
I am so excited to be guest posting for Amie today.

Let me share with you a Cabbage Roll recipe which I learned from my mother-in-law. For her special Cabbage Roll recipe, she uses game bird's meat. But, it's easier to find pork tenderloin. I love it either way. ^^) It's great eaten with bread, rice or boiled potato! 
Pin It

lomo con col 

For this recipe, you will need: 

 Cabbage (for the white cabbage variety, you might need 2-3 leaves for a roll while if you use the green and huge variety, you will need just one per roll) 
Meat (your choice. I don't see any reason why you can't use chicken, turkey or beef for this) 
Sobrassada (a mallorcan sausage. I normally use the spicy variety.) Raisins 
Pine Nuts 
Peeled and diced tomato 
Minced garlic 
Diced onions 
Diced green bell pepper 
A pinch of saffron (dried or powdered) 
A dash of paprika 
White wine or brandy 
Meat broth 
Laurel leaf 
Salt and pepper to taste 
Olive oil 

Directions: Boil a pot of water. Separate the cabbage leaves one by one and blanch them into the boiling water one by one. The cabbage should not turn mushy. Just blanch it quick so rolling would be easier later.

 

Heat a pan with olive oil in it and seal the meat pieces by cooking it in the pan just long enough for the meat to turn slightly brown. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. 

 

If you're using the white variety, you might need 2-3 leaves together for each roll as the leaves are not that big nor wide unlike the green variety, you will need at least just one leaf per roll. On top of the cabbage leaves, place a piece of meat, a piece of sobrassada and a handful of raisins and pine nuts. Roll the cabbage and place it on a shallow and wide pot where the folded part is facing downwards. Set aside. 

 

In the same pan where you browned the meat pieces, heat some olive oil and sautée the garlic, onions, green bell pepper and diced tomato (in that order). Add the white wine or brandy, laurel leaf, saffon, paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Let it boil. 

Turn off the heat and let it cool for a while. 

Process everything using a blender or a hand-mixer. If you'd like your sauce to be thicker, just add some toasted bread while processing this mixture in a blender. 

 Pour this mixture into the pot (where you cabbage rolls are neatly arranged). Cook and let it boil for around 10-15 minutes. 
  
 
Serve with bread, rice or boiled potato and enjoy!
 
*This recipe was first seen here.
 
Thanks a lot, Amie for having us here and I hope you liked our recipes! Do visit our blog for more of them!
I am sharing with
 
It's a Blog Party  
Hugs,
Lelanie

No comments:

Post a Comment